[Kea-users] cross-compile x86 to arm

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Feb 10 21:22:34 UTC 2015

On 31.01.2015 11:16, Nathan Royce wrote:
> Just checking in to see if anyone has cross-compiled kea or if that is
> something being worked on.
>
> I gave it an attempt early last year without success.
It depends on when you tried that. In early 2014 Kea had a lot of bind10
stuff in it, including python3 and hard botan dependencies. This was
removed in 0.9 release (end of August 2014).

We did remove quite a lot of the code since then. We don't use python3
anymore. We also started building on couple other systems and solved
many issues since then. We're not building on any arm machines, though.

We also added support for OpenSSL, so now you need only one crypto
library: either Botan or OpenSSL. If the compilation error was in
something related to Botan and the issue is still there, you can
sidestep the problem by using OpenSSL.

In any case, I'd love to hear how your cross-compilation goes. It would
be best if you could try it on the code from git repo. It will soon be
released as 0.9.1beta.

If your compilation is successful, you can consider describing it on the
kea wiki. We used to maintain detailed instructions
(http://kea.isc.org/wiki/SystemSpecificNotes), but since we got rid of
the bind10/python stuff, the compilation is much easier, so we feel that
maintaining such detailed instructions are not necessary. Obviously,
cross-compilation is a different thing and having it described would be
very helpful.

Tomek