Releasing INN 2.6.0?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Mar 27 11:03:57 UTC 2015

On 25/03/2015 04:39, Julien ÉLIE wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Do you have preferences for the release planning?
>
> For the last major release, we announced the final release of INN 2.4.6 and a RC for INN 2.5.0 at almost the same time. Then, 3 months later, we announced the final release of INN 2.5.0.
>
> * Tue Mar 10 04:56:47 UTC 2009 -⁠ INN 2.5.0 release candidate available
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-announce/2009-March/000000.html [1]
>
> * Tue Mar 10 20:12:49 UTC 2009 -⁠ INN 2.4.6 available
> (basically the following day, if we take USA hours)
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-announce/2009-March/000001.html [2]
>
> * Tue Jun 9 03:25:12 UTC 2009 -⁠ INN 2.5.0 available
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-announce/2009-June/000002.html [3]
>
> Maybe we can have INN 2.5.5 and INN 2.6.0 release candidates "now" (just the time to generate them and make them available at ftp.isc.org).
> We announce only the INN 2.6.0 release candidate.
>
> People can play with both the RC.
> We'll then see for the final releases depending on the issues people are facing, if any. Maybe INN 2.5.5 will be ready sooner, and will be releasable late April.
> Then INN 2.6.0 late May or June, to let people time to test.
>
> Another scenario would be to announce the INN 2.6.0 release candidate only late April, just before the INN 2.5.5 final release.
> We would then have only inn-⁠workers testing until late April.
>
> If someone has a clear preference or sees another better scenario, please share it.

I take the approach of "release when necessary"

Consider how long you want to support 2.5.x, is .5 the last unless
security issues? Ordinarily I'd say announce 2.6.0, and 2.5.x (as EOL
pending in 12 months and only security fixes will be released in
meantime), however... since there is some major changes with 2.6 that
would catch people out (like the header injection changes etc) and a few
other things from memory, a plain upgrade may not be so painless (I
might be wrong tho)...

So, I'd announce 2.5.5 and 2.6.0 with the latter recommended for new
installs

Links:
------
[1] https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-announce/2009-March/000000.html